From: Edward Muller <emuller@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, antitux@netscape.com (John Dee)
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Netscape Packages
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:38:24
1 On Friday 12 April 2002 03:25 pm, John Dee wrote:
2 > One more question I've got.
3 > Would you guys be willing to replace netscape 4.x with netscape 6 as the
4 > default browser?
5 > Since netscape 4.x isn't really being maintained anymore (I do builds
6 > once a week, blah bleh), and the 6.x line is nscp's main focus, would
7 > you guys be willing to make netscape6 the default netscape browser?
8
9 Why do you think netscape 4.x is the default browser? Gentoo alows the user to
10 pick which browser to install. I for instance emerged Mozilla and KDE 3.0
11 (hence I get Konq). I don't even think I have netscape 4.x installed.
14 I say you create the ebuild, call it net-www/netscape6/netscape6-6.2.2.ebuild
15 and submit it. This way users can choose the browser they want. I'd also make
16 it so that they can co-exist on the system as well.
19 > George Shapovalov wrote:
20 > > If you would like to see Netscape 6 in gentoo and are willing to spend
21 > > some time on it, please do contribute by any means.
22 > > Now to the technical stuff.
23 > > You do not need to know many details about portage code. What is getting
24 > > submitted is a set of build instructions wrapped in a bash script (and as
25 > > such, the tarball itself will not help much).
26 > > Please see:
27 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/gentoo-howto.html
28 > > for a description on how to create such an ebuild
29 > > (bash script (quite often very basic) containing install instructions).
30 > > You can also look at ebuilds for other packages.
31 > > The ebuild and any necessary supplementary files (patches, etc) are to be
32 > > submitted to http://bugs.gentoo.org, this page contains an ebuild
33 > > submission description:
34 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/ebuild-submit.html.
35 > >
36 > > If you still do not feel like creating an ebuild file (BTW you can always
37 > > go to #gentoo channel at irc.openprojects.net to get some real-time
38 > > ebuild creation assistance) you can instead submit build instructions and
39 > > any url pointers to bugs.gentoo.org as a feature request ( but this will
40 > > take more time to process for obvious reasons :)).
41 > >
42 > > George
43 > >