From: antitux@netscape.com (John Dee)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Netscape Packages
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:26:06
1 One more question I've got.
2 Would you guys be willing to replace netscape 4.x with netscape 6 as the
3 default browser?
4 Since netscape 4.x isn't really being maintained anymore (I do builds
5 once a week, blah bleh), and the 6.x line is nscp's main focus, would
6 you guys be willing to make netscape6 the default netscape browser?
7
8 George Shapovalov wrote:
9 > If you would like to see Netscape 6 in gentoo and are willing to spend some
10 > time on it, please do contribute by any means.
11 > Now to the technical stuff.
12 > You do not need to know many details about portage code. What is getting
13 > submitted is a set of build instructions wrapped in a bash script (and as
14 > such, the tarball itself will not help much).
15 > Please see:
16 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/gentoo-howto.html
17 > for a description on how to create such an ebuild
18 > (bash script (quite often very basic) containing install instructions). You
19 > can also look at ebuilds for other packages.
20 > The ebuild and any necessary supplementary files (patches, etc) are to be
21 > submitted to http://bugs.gentoo.org, this page contains an ebuild submission
23 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/ebuild-submit.html.
24 >
25 > If you still do not feel like creating an ebuild file (BTW you can always go
26 > to #gentoo channel at irc.openprojects.net to get some real-time ebuild
27 > creation assistance) you can instead submit build instructions and any url
28 > pointers to bugs.gentoo.org as a feature request ( but this will take more
29 > time to process for obvious reasons :)).
30 >
31 > George