From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilizations and src_test
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 10:56:59
1 On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 10:43:07 +0200
2 Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > If you work on the stabilization workflow you may have noticed that:
5 >
6 > - There are people that rant if you don't run src_test against their packages;
7 > - There are people that rant if you open a test failure bug against their
8 > packages and you block the stabilization.
9 >
10 > So, unless there will be a clear policy about that, I'd suggest to introduce a
11 > way to establish if a package is expected to pass src_test or not.
12 >
13 > A simple way to achieve this goal would be:
14 > introduce a new bugzilla custom flag (like "Runtime testing required" we
15 > already have) maybe called "src_test pass" or similar, that, by default is yes
16 > and the maintainer should set it to no when needed.
17 >
18 > In case of 'yes', the arch team member must compile with FEATURE="test" and he
19 > is allowed to block the stabilization in case of test-failure.
20 >
21 > In case there will be a test-failure there are two choices:
22 > 1) The maintainer fixes the test failure;
23 > 2) The maintainer does not want to take care, so he can simply remove the
24 > blocker and set "src_test pass" to no.
25 >
26 > Both of the above are fine for me.
27 >
28 > Obviously, if there are already test-failure bugs open, the flag "src_test
29 > pass" should be set to 'no' when the stabilization bugs is filled.
30 >
31 > I'm sure that this way would help to avoid wasting time on both sides.
32
33 Expecting the package to be marked stable while the tests fail seems
34 like a very odd stance to take. I would politely request that you flag
35 this up and if you get pushback but understandably don't want to fight
36 it then just add RESTRICT="test" yourselves, maybe filtered on a
37 particular USE flag if it only happens in specific situations. I think
38 the QA team would back you up here?
39
40 I understand the comments about only a few minor tests failing but if
41 the maintainer doesn't want to skip the entire suite then it is their
42 responsibility to limit the set of tests run by whatever means.
43 Unfortunately there is no universal method of doing this.
46 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
47 Gentoo Linux Developer