From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual/pkgconfig to support lighter alternatives
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:41:09
1 On 29 April 2012 18:11, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > the canonical pkg-config is getting fat.  it requires glib-2.  it runs pkg-
3 > config when building.  glib-2 requires pkg-config.  whee.
4 >
5 > for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal.  but we'd like to enable a
6 > lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems.  as such, i'd like to
7 > introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows for selection of simpler (but
8 > compatible) implementations.
9 >
10 > we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but there is also
11 > "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf".  they should be compatible with the canonical
12 > pkg-config.  they aren't yet in the tree, but will be once we agree on this
13 > topic.
14 >
15 > any comments ?
16 > -mike
17
18 I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
19 authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
20 changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
21 pkgconf work for us.