From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] new virtual/pkgconfig to support lighter alternatives
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:12:40
1 the canonical pkg-config is getting fat. it requires glib-2. it runs pkg-
2 config when building. glib-2 requires pkg-config. whee.
3
4 for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal. but we'd like to enable a
5 lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems. as such, i'd like to
6 introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows for selection of simpler (but
7 compatible) implementations.
8
9 we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but there is also
10 "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf". they should be compatible with the canonical
11 pkg-config. they aren't yet in the tree, but will be once we agree on this
12 topic.
13
14 any comments ?
15 -mike