From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new virtual/pkgconfig to support lighter alternatives
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:47:33
1 On 04/30/2012 01:11 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > the canonical pkg-config is getting fat. it requires glib-2. it runs pkg-
3 > config when building. glib-2 requires pkg-config. whee.
4 >
5 > for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal. but we'd like to enable a
6 > lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems. as such, i'd like to
7 > introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows for selection of simpler (but
8 > compatible) implementations.
9 >
10 > we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but there is also
11 > "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf". they should be compatible with the canonical
12 > pkg-config. they aren't yet in the tree, but will be once we agree on this
13 > topic.
14 >
15 > any comments ?
16 > -mike
17
18 =dev-util/pkgconfig-9999 with USE="internal-glib" in Portage. I'm
19 hoping this will render the pkg-config-lite useless so we can drop it.
20
21 I'm very much intrested in knowing if this matches the requirements for
22 doing so, so I can decide whether I should be rolling also a snapshot
23 ebuild for ~arch or not.
27 And entirely different thing...
28
29 And I'll look into making pkgconfig-openbsd suitable for the virtual
30 today too, but I'm not expecting to KEYWORD it ever since even the
31 OpenBSD guys declare it only partly compatible in their docs/code.