From: Eric Sammer <eric@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] IGP 320M, Radeon, and laptops
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:19:22
1 All:
2
3 I recently picked up an HP ZE4420 laptop (AMD XP-M 2200 proc, 256ram,
4 40gig hd, Radeon Mobility) - a nice box for a decent price (approx
5 $750USD post rebates). I checked out all the hardware and chipsets as I
6 know this drill well. The one thing I missed was the flurry of emails
7 about the IGP 320M chipset and hte host of problems that seem to follow
8 it. For all Gentoo'ers, here's some info that should be helpful should
9 you pick one of these very cool, yet very-sorta-not-really-supported
10 laptops.
11
12 1. Read this wonderful reference: http://c133.org/ze4420/index.php
13 This guy / girl fought through all of the tough stuff and figured it
14 out. Even better, he / she did it with Gentoo so it's more than
15 applicable in our case(s).
16
17 2. Get the Synaptics touchpad drivers / patches for the kernel. Trust me.
18
19 3. Forget the half fixes you find - update to kernel 2.6 series. If
20 you're not comfortable building your own kernel, read some HOWTOs, ask
21 some people for help, but make sure you learn it. It is NOT worth
22 fighting with the 2.4 series as the IGP 320M will beat you into
23 submission. The 320M is listed and supported enough to get a box that
24 doesn't lock up when you start X (neat eh?). (PS: Read this for 2.6 info
25 if you're a kernel compile newbie type:
26 http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/823 )
27
28 4. Follow the chipset selections for the misc hardware (audio, ethernet,
29 etc.) and make sure you use ALSA. It's even easier now that ALSA is part
30 of the 2.6 kernel.
31
32 While I'm sure this seems really out of the blue and wildly off topic,
33 finding accurate and *timely* information (i.e. not old patches for 2.4
34 kernels that don't apply) on the IGP 320M and this laptop in particular
35 was extremely difficult. If anyone has any questions, I'm always more
36 than happy to help.
37
38 Here's to hoping this helps some poor soul with a 4420 or 320M...
39 --
40 Eric Sammer
41 eric@××××××××××××.com
42 http://www.ineoconcepts.com