From: Simon Reynolds <sproket@××××××××.net>
To: Eric Sammer <eric@××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IGP 320M, Radeon, and laptops
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:45:29
1 On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 15:19, Eric Sammer wrote:
2 > All:
3 >
4 > I recently picked up an HP ZE4420 laptop (AMD XP-M 2200 proc, 256ram,
5 > 40gig hd, Radeon Mobility) - a nice box for a decent price (approx
6 > $750USD post rebates). I checked out all the hardware and chipsets as I
7 > know this drill well. The one thing I missed was the flurry of emails
8 > about the IGP 320M chipset and hte host of problems that seem to follow
9 > it. For all Gentoo'ers, here's some info that should be helpful should
10 > you pick one of these very cool, yet very-sorta-not-really-supported
11 > laptops.
12
13 I bought an hp4200 last fall that has pretty much all the same chipsets.
14 For those who don't need 3d acceleration, Gentoo works "out of the box"
15 with regards to most everything else (including 2d support). Two notes:
16 1) you don't need a kernel patch for the synaptics support unless you
17 need the fancy extras in gpm. I had better luck with Peter Osterlund's
18 synaptics driver than with the tpconfig stuff. 2) The multimedia keys
19 (on the ze4200 anyway) don't work out of the box, but there is a small
20 perl script on sourceforge called omke that can enable them.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list