From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 22:37:18
1 On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 22:51 +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 22/05/06, Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 10:29 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
4 > > > I'm not sure I understand why. After all, mandriva, suse, ubuntu, and
5 > > > many others have survived quite well.
6 > >
7 > > rpm and apt have withstood the test of time and are mature pkg
8 > > managers, not immature experimental code still in major development.
9 >
10 > I don't think anybody is proposing that the alternatives to portage
11 > are ready now. It is more a matter of principle -
14 > would you have any
15 > objection to a mature and stable package manager developed by an
16 > external entity?
17
18 As you did not use the term 'primary' here then absolutely not. I'm all
19 for innovations, people coding and keeping busy. I have no problems
20 with secondary pkg mgt system that are hosted off site and maintained
21 by external forces as long as it's features don't introduce
22 incompatibilities into our existing tree or put pressure on our
23 primary pkg mgt system to match XYZ's features.
24
25 However as a member of the existing portage team and also as a council
26 member I would reject (and I would encourage[read work really hard at
27 it] other council members to do the same) any GLEP which allowed or
28 promoted the primary pkg mgt system being hosted offsite and maintained
29 by non devs at the juncture in time. I joined our portage team because
30 I realized that our pkg mgt is not a toy and can't be treated as such.
31 An external team controlling that I simply do not think work well for
32 us in terms of the primary pkg mgt system.
33
34 > > > More to the point, though, it's
35 > > > not clear to me what awful things happen if Gentoo does not own the
36 > > > package manager code,
37 > >
38 > > It should be pretty clear that one of the main problems is letting
39 > > others decide which features we will and wont have and defining our
40 > > standards based on their needs and not our own.
41 >
42 > As long as the license is open source, Gentoo is free to apply its own
43 > patches to add features or support different standards before
44 > redistributing it. If this becomes too onerous, it would be possible
45 > to fork the external project and bring it under internal control.
46
47 Look those projects are forks. We are not the fork and we have a
48 functional pkg mgt system at this time so there is no need to
49 complicate that. Yes it's a control thing and that control needs to
50 remain internal period.
53 > > Please don't forget either that what we know as Gentoo is
54 > > based/built upon the tool known as portage. Everything we do
55 > > (all teams included) revolves around it.
56 >
57 > If there were an update to portage tomorrow, based on a new
58 > architecture, which implemented the same command line interfaces, then
59 > most people wouldn't notice the difference. Decisions should be based
60 > on an unsentimental evaluation of the merits of each system.
61 >
62 > This discussion is reminiscent of the arguments for and against
63 > relying on bitkeeper for linux development. The difference is that as
64 > long as the Gentoo project relies on open source, it can never be held
65 > hostage like the kernel developers were.
66
67 That is their own fault for making a bad decisions early on and I don't
68 see it being all that relevant in the topic of this discussion.
71 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
72 Gentoo Linux
75 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list