From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 21:58:55
1 On 22/05/06, Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 10:29 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > I'm not sure I understand why. After all, mandriva, suse, ubuntu, and
4 > > many others have survived quite well.
5 >
6 > rpm and apt have withstood the test of time and are mature pkg
7 > managers, not immature experimental code still in major development.
8
9 I don't think anybody is proposing that the alternatives to portage
10 are ready now. It is more a matter of principle - would you have any
11 objection to a mature and stable package manager developed by an
12 external entity?
13
14 > > More to the point, though, it's
15 > > not clear to me what awful things happen if Gentoo does not own the
16 > > package manager code,
17 >
18 > It should be pretty clear that one of the main problems is letting
19 > others decide which features we will and wont have and defining our
20 > standards based on their needs and not our own.
21
22 As long as the license is open source, Gentoo is free to apply its own
23 patches to add features or support different standards before
24 redistributing it. If this becomes too onerous, it would be possible
25 to fork the external project and bring it under internal control.
26
27 > Please don't forget either that what we know as Gentoo is
28 > based/built upon the tool known as portage. Everything we do
29 > (all teams included) revolves around it.
30
31 If there were an update to portage tomorrow, based on a new
32 architecture, which implemented the same command line interfaces, then
33 most people wouldn't notice the difference. Decisions should be based
34 on an unsentimental evaluation of the merits of each system.
35
36 This discussion is reminiscent of the arguments for and against
37 relying on bitkeeper for linux development. The difference is that as
38 long as the Gentoo project relies on open source, it can never be held
39 hostage like the kernel developers were.
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list