From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmerging and CONFIG_PROTECT
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:53:42
1 On 02/29/04 Drake Wyrm wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 2004-02-29, 16:15:46 +0100, in
4 > <20040229161546.4bd04a74@××××××××××××××××××.net>, Marius Mauch
5 > <genone@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Two packages owning the same file is a bug, no matter if the file is
7 > > CONFIG_PROTECTed or not.
8 >
9 > Not so! try:
10 >
11 > equery belongs '^/usr$'
12 >
13 > Yes, '/usr' is a directory and, yes, I am arguing a straw man but...
14 >
15 > In many cases, two or more packages will use and provide a common
16 > file. The bug, as I see it, is the fact that packages may clobber or
17 > remove files which other packages need. Our current workaround is to
18 > prevent any two packages from owning the same file.
19 >
20 > A better approach (and probably portage-ng material) would be cleaner
21 > handling of shared files.
22 >
23 > Our viewpoints may actually differ, so I will ask: How is it a bug if
24 > two packages own the same file?
25
26 Because a package should not overwrite files owned by another package
27 with it's own version that's probably completely different. There might
28 be exceptions to my statement, but only if there is a really good reason
29 and it has been triple-checked that it won't cause problems (and I can't
30 think of a good reason right now). Also as you mentioned, at the moment
31 portage will remove the file if unmerge the package that has installed
32 the newest version of the file, likely breaking the other packages
33 owning the file.
34
35 Marius
40 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
41 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.