From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmerging and CONFIG_PROTECT
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:27:20
1 On Sun, 2004-02-29, 16:15:46 +0100, in
2 <20040229161546.4bd04a74@××××××××××××××××××.net>, Marius Mauch
3 <genone@g.o> wrote:
4 > On 02/28/04 Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 02:55, Stuart Herbert wrote:
6 > > > I agree with Jason - a config file that hasn't been modified
7 > > > shouldn't be config-protected. No information is lost when the
8 > > > file is removed, and if a Gentoo user has edited the file, it'll
9 > > > get picked up because of the change in timestamp and md5sum.
10 > >
11 > > It should be left. Consider this case: $ emerge packageA
12 > > /etc/services is modified to contain a reference for packageA
13 > >
14 > > $ emerge packageB /etc/services is modified to contain a reference
15 > > for packageB
16 >
17 > Two packages owning the same file is a bug, no matter if the file is
18 > CONFIG_PROTECTed or not.
19
20 Not so! try:
21
22 equery belongs '^/usr$'
23
24 Yes, '/usr' is a directory and, yes, I am arguing a straw man but...
25
26 In many cases, two or more packages will use and provide a common file.
27 The bug, as I see it, is the fact that packages may clobber or remove
28 files which other packages need. Our current workaround is to prevent
29 any two packages from owning the same file.
30
31 A better approach (and probably portage-ng material) would be cleaner
32 handling of shared files.
33
34 Our viewpoints may actually differ, so I will ask: How is it a bug if
35 two packages own the same file?
38 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
39 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
40 --Ghost in the Shell