From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: "Stephen P. Becker" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:37:23
1 28.2.2006, 15:00:49, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2
3 >> What kind of non-interactivity? What's this universal non-interactivity
4 >> blurb of yours and ciaranm's about? There's no such thing when it comes to
5 >> configuration. If you want automated "configuration", then please use
6 >> Windows and stop moaning. If you don't want to read manpages or at least
7 >> --help, then please use Windows as well. If you want to use non-default
8 >> setup, then you need to change default values, that's what common sense
9 >> dictates at least. And don't use the (non)-interactivity magical formular in
10 >> a context where it has zero sense.
11
12 > No! You are completely missing the point. The non-interactivity of
13 > which we speak is the idea that when you emerge some package, it is
14 > perfectly reasonable (and in fact should be required) to expect that
15 > package to install to your userland with no further prodding. There
16 > should be no USE collisions which cause the emerge to die. There should
17 > be no default configuration which will break other packages in the tree
18 > by default.
19
20 > Note that in no way am I talking about auto-configuration, as that would
21 > be silly. The example problem with webapp-config which I have described
22 > here forces a user to intervene to get packages to install to the proper
23 > location. This is not desirable.
24
25 Selecting a webserver to use with a webapp package is a part of
26 configuration. So again, the whole non-interactive idea is irrelevant wrt
27 webapp-config and non-default setups. No defaults in default config won't
28 work/won't improve anything either, since some webapps need to have their
29 config files server-owned. Running a server and webapps is not a no-brainer
30 which should just automagically work; to the contrary - users should think
31 about what they are doing or they just should run a server app.
32
33 > Basically, I really don't see why webapp-config can't have some logic
34 > built in which makes it smart enough to figure out which webserver
35 > somebody is using.
36
37 Sure, you can make webapp-config depend on virtual/magic where
38
39 RDEPEND="|| ( app-admin/artificial-intelligence app-admin/mind-reader )
40
41 and then
42
43 emerge lighttpd apache <a couple of servers here> <some random webapps here>
44
45 I think it's pretty much obvious that this just won't work since such
46 virtual doesn't and won't exist.
50 Best regards,
51
52 Jakub Moc
53 mailto:jakub@g.o
54 GPG signature: http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
55 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
56
57 ... still no signature ;)