From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Temporary DevRel actions for CoC violations
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:25:34
1 Roy Bamford posted on Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:21:07 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 06/19/13 18:35:49, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 >>
5 >> It is unfortunate to observe constant bullying, insults and trolling
6 >> across our public media. Developers have been warned over and over that
7 >> such behaviour is not acceptable and they should try to behave
8 >> properly. However, people have ignored such warnings for a very long
9 >> time. This ends today.
10 >>
11 > This has my support.
12 >
13 > I would like to see council voice their complete support publically too,
14 > as thats one of the reasons proctors failed.
15
16 ++
17
18 Also, I know there's sensitivity in providing real-case examples and
19 contrived examples might not work too well, but...
20
21 If possible, it'd be useful to have (say) 2-3 good examples of triggers.
22
23 [TL;DR folks stop there.]
24
25 At least once an action is finalized (whatever way) by full devrel or
26 council, arguably an action-triggering public statement in some media
27 deserves an equally public apology (if the original offender finds it
28 appropriate) or rebuttal (if such rebuttal on behalf of gentoo is
29 necessary due to lack of apology) by the same media.
30
31 IIRC I've been called on to issue an apology once. I don't remember the
32 details, but I do remember that I hadn't intended it to sound the way it
33 did and I unconditionally apologized once someone pointed out how it read
34 from a perspective other than my own.
35
36 I've also called for a public apology a (small) handful of times, only
37 once recently, from a user-poster not a dev, here. One other user
38 replied to that backing me up but indicating that he thought a few devs
39 might need such a call from time to time as well, while I've not seen
40 anything besides that one post that I considered "beyond the pale" far
41 enough to call for an apology on in /quite/ some time now, so evidently
42 he's a bit more sensitive than I am at this point.
43
44 Which means either that the potentially triggering instances aren't
45 happening on this list, or that my sensitivity needs reset. I'm worried
46 about the latter, and an example or two (anyone who believes they might
47 have been out of line care to post a link/apology?) might help me with
48 that reset, or clarify that the triggers haven't been happening here, but
49 in IRC or on the blogs or whatever. Either would be useful.
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman