From: Tom Wesley <tom.wesley@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:38:08
1 On Monday 22 Mar 2004 19:13, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Dennis Allison wrote:
3 > > First, it is important to understand that programming is independent of
4 > > any particular programming language. Languages are just the
5 > > representation or notation for programs. Some are large and complex
6 > > and likely to get in the way of understanding programming (C++);
7 > > others are spare and simple and conceptually clean (Python, Scheme).
8 > >
9 > > I'd begin with Python and then move on to other languages. Starting with
10 > > C++ is a bit like deciding you want to take up mountain climbing and that
11 > > the first mountain you want to climb is Mount Everest.
12 >
13 > While I do completely agree with that analogy, C++ was the first (real)
14 > language I learned (after Apple BASIC, QBasic, VB, and Java (*I* do not
15 > consider Java a real language)) and it gave me a broad understanding of the
16 > way that any language works. Because I know C/C++, I can easily pick up new
17 > languages because I don't have to learn new concepts.
18
19 I am going with that theory too, as I am in a similar position to what you
20 are. Although I abusively called it database scripting, some of the stuff is
21 relatively complicated, often exceeding what could easily be acheived, for
22 example, in Access.
23
24 I have bought an O'Reily book on QT programming from a friend, but it seems
25 far too complex to start out with. I'm thinking that I will be looking
26 around for some example Python and C applications, see if I can pick anything
27 up to get me closer.
30 Tom Wesley