From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:14:46
1 Dennis Allison wrote:
2 > First, it is important to understand that programming is independent of
3 > any particular programming language. Languages are just the
4 > representation or notation for programs. Some are large and complex
5 > and likely to get in the way of understanding programming (C++);
6 > others are spare and simple and conceptually clean (Python, Scheme).
7 >
8 > I'd begin with Python and then move on to other languages. Starting with
9 > C++ is a bit like deciding you want to take up mountain climbing and that
10 > the first mountain you want to climb is Mount Everest.
11
12 While I do completely agree with that analogy, C++ was the first (real) language I learned
13 (after Apple BASIC, QBasic, VB, and Java (*I* do not consider Java a real language)) and
14 it gave me a broad understanding of the way that any language works. Because I know C/C++,
15 I can easily pick up new languages because I don't have to learn new concepts.
18 Andrew Gaffney
19 Network Administrator
20 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
21 636-357-1548