From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programming advice wanted?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:17:27
1 On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:13:42 -0600
2 Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Dennis Allison wrote:
5 > > First, it is important to understand that programming is independent
6 > > of any particular programming language. Languages are just the
7 > > representation or notation for programs. Some are large and complex
8 > > and likely to get in the way of understanding programming (C++);
9 > > others are spare and simple and conceptually clean (Python, Scheme).
10 > >
11 > > I'd begin with Python and then move on to other languages. Starting
12 > > with C++ is a bit like deciding you want to take up mountain
13 > > climbing and that the first mountain you want to climb is Mount
14 > > Everest.
15 >
16 > While I do completely agree with that analogy, C++ was the first
17 > (real) language I learned (after Apple BASIC, QBasic, VB, and Java
18 > (*I* do not consider Java a real language)) and
19
20 I really don't understand what people have against Java?!? Is it
21 because of Sun and its license?
22 I have many years of experience in java programming and also learned
23 object oriented programming with it. In my opinion it's good and clean.
24 How many other languages do you know, which works on multiple
25 platforms without recompiling, run as a plugin in browsers, has deep
26 security concept built in (sandbox, bytecode verifier, etc),
27 multithreading as a basic language feature, exception handling, RPC/RMI,
28 etc etc etc ...
29
30 If someone really is interested in understanding object oriented
31 programming then I would advise to begin with Java.
32
33 > it gave me a broad understanding of the way that any language works.
34 > Because I know C/C++, I can easily pick up new languages because I
35 > don't have to learn new concepts.
36
37 Agreed, but as you said, your first language was not C/C++ but Basic,
38 VB, Java etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you
39 learned(hopefully) object oriented programming mostly with Java.
40
41 In my case I learned OOP in Java and could utilize it to C++ without
42 big problems. The only strange thing was weird language constructs and
43 discrepancies in C/C++.
44
45 Please don't get me wrong.
46