From: Trinity <seemant@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:41:55
1 Hi,
2
3 I do wish to apologise in advance for posting to both lists. I had
4 posed this question on gentoo-user but received no response. So, I
5 shall ask again, here, with hope for better feedback. During bootup,
6 at depscan.sh step, I get the error which looks like: depscan.sh: awk:
7 command not found. I was wondering if this is subtly dangerous or not,
8 and what the fix to this might be.
9
10 The second issue concerns mc/mcedit. I have mcedit set up as my editor
11 in mutt. But, when I save a message I get the following, everytime:
12
13 load_client_codepage: filename /usr/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does not
14 exist.
15
16 Again, I do not know what this is all about. While we are on the
17 subject of mail. I have installed postfix, and set it up, per the
18 website's instruction guide, to use /var/spool/mail. I sent mail to
19 myself, but I am unable to delete that mail, because the mailbox is
20 readonly, for some reason. Also, I am having some trouble sending
21 mail.
22
23 The biggest issue of concern today, though, is glibc2.2.5. I tried to
24 emerge it earlier today, and towards the end of the install process I
25 got an error which repeated itself hundreds of times that libdl.so.2
26 was missing. It is, in fact, not missing. Anyway, my box was left
27 useless, and I ultimately had to unpack a slack.tgz for glibc-2.2.3
28 onto the root of my gentoo partitions (followed by ldconfig -r -- I
29 have a feeling that I may not have needed to unpack the tgz, come to
30 think of it). That allowed me to boot, and then I tried to emerge
31 again. Same error. Eventually, I simply emerged 2.2.4 back on here,
32 and things seem to be in order. Funny thing is that Matthew Kennedy,
33 one of the gentoo ebuild contributors emerged 2.2.5 with no hitches
34 whatsoever, and we are running almost identical systems. Any ideas why
35 my system did not like it? Also, why is ssmtp part of emerge --world
36 update? I already have postfix installed as my mta..
39 Thanks so much for all your time, and my apologies again for posting to
40 both lists -- I do realise I am being somewhat rude in doing that. My
41 intention is not to spam, but rather to get some help, which my
42 spamming may not aid, because some people may get annoyed --- I am
43 getting dizzy with this line of thinking...
44
45 Anyway, thanks,
46
47 Seemant
50 PS. My congratulations to Mr. Robbins and the developers - Gentoo is
51 what I have been looking for in a distribution. Thank you for
52 providing it.
53
54 =====
55 "Duty is God" - Sathya Sai Baba
59 Do You Yahoo!?
60 Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!
61 http://greetings.yahoo.com