From: Trinity <seemant@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] (no subject)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:41:55
Hi,

I do wish to apologise in advance for posting to both lists.  I had
posed this question on gentoo-user but received no response.  So, I
shall ask again, here, with hope for better feedback.  During bootup,
at depscan.sh step, I get the error which looks like: depscan.sh: awk:
command not found.  I was wondering if this is subtly dangerous or not,
and what the fix to this might be.

The second issue concerns mc/mcedit.  I have mcedit set up as my editor
in mutt.  But, when I save a message I get the following, everytime:

load_client_codepage: filename /usr/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does not
exist.

Again, I do not know what this is all about.  While we are on the
subject of mail. I have installed postfix, and set it up, per the
website's instruction guide, to use /var/spool/mail.  I sent mail to
myself, but I am unable to delete that mail, because the mailbox is
readonly, for some reason.  Also, I am having some trouble sending
mail.

The biggest issue of concern today, though, is glibc2.2.5.  I tried to
emerge it earlier today, and towards the end of the install process I
got an error which repeated itself hundreds of times that libdl.so.2
was missing.  It is, in fact, not missing.  Anyway, my box was left
useless, and I ultimately had to unpack a slack.tgz for glibc-2.2.3
onto the root of my gentoo partitions (followed by ldconfig -r -- I
have a feeling that I may not have needed to unpack the tgz, come to
think of it).  That allowed me to boot, and then I tried to emerge
again. Same error.  Eventually, I simply emerged 2.2.4 back on here,
and things seem to be in order.  Funny thing is that Matthew Kennedy,
one of the gentoo ebuild contributors emerged 2.2.5 with no hitches
whatsoever, and we are running almost identical systems.  Any ideas why
my system did not like it?  Also, why is ssmtp part of emerge --world
update?  I already have postfix installed as my mta..

Thanks so much for all your time, and my apologies again for posting to
both lists -- I do realise I am being somewhat rude in doing that.  My
intention is not to spam, but rather to get some help, which my
spamming may not aid, because some people may get annoyed --- I am
getting dizzy with this line of thinking...

Anyway, thanks,

Seemant

PS.  My congratulations to Mr. Robbins and the developers - Gentoo is
what I have been looking for in a distribution.  Thank you for
providing it.

=====
"Duty is God" - Sathya Sai Baba