From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:59:29
begin  quote
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:20:40 +0200
Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o> wrote:

> Hi > Maybe more features would be needed "nodoc" "noman" "noinfo". I > guess many people never open an info page (mostly because the > info command sucks and they don't know about pinfo).
Yelp is good here, but you're right that it should probably be separated.
> I think with the nodoc flag it would never "merge" the docs. > It sure wont install them first then rm -rf them again. It > would simply not move them from > > /var/tmp/portage.../image/usr/doc/appfoo-6.6.6 into the running > system(Mabye exclude them from unpacking when using tbz2 packages).
Well, the reason I suggest making it a FEATURE instead of anything else is because that way we can include the whole package of man pages and documentation in built binary packages, but simply prevent it from entering the "final" system afterwards. This would probably just mean a few lines to check the feature, and if it exists, scan usr/share/doc and remove all files that want to install there...
> I'm not the programmer of it but i guess the mainquestion is how to > configure it. Like a FEATURE="nodoc noinfo" or with it's own variable > like DOCS="man -info -doc" or whatever.
I'd say just a FEATURE, because it'd be cleaner configurationwise that way. No need in splitting it up in a case like this. //Spider -- begin .signature This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature! See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information. end

Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Re: USE flags (=?iso-8859-1?q?Bj=F6rn_Lindstr=F6m?=)