From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Something positive! (was Re: Client-serve flags (again ;))
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:16:37
1 Jeff Rollin wrote:
2
3 > On 10/03/07, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > The people who get all bent out of shape about a simple joke like that
5 >> > are either homosexual themselves (not a bad thing) or homophobes
6 >> > (definitely a bad thing).
7 ..
8 > OTOH, I don't see how the allegation that people who are homophobic fear
9 > they may be homosexuals themselves is "shocking", since I've suspected the
10 > same on many occasions and know that other people have - and it's imo
11 > certainly no more shocking than the original comment - which I didn't, but
12 > which *could*, be taken as a snide bit of homophobia.
13 >
14 Yeah, it's fairly commonly agreed round these parts too. FWIW it wasn't the
15 nature of the insult, it was just that there was an insult at all, from
16 someone i've never spoken to; it made me think that I'm clearly annoying
17 people and just not welcome. Felt like a kick in the guts after enjoying
18 myself hanging out on irc. Anyway, *moving swiftly on*, I don't think it's
19 right to have homophobic jokes (or any offensive jokes or language) as a
20 general point of common courtesy. Especially not on a mailing-list.
21
22 Simply put: slag me off all you want on irc, but please don't bring it to
23 the mailing list or the forums. These are effectively archives for how
24 gentoo grew; certainly I was dismayed by some of the stuff I read, as I
25 came up to speed with reasons for technical decisions.
26
27 You wouldn't even be allowed to carry on like that on the forums; why should
28 we users be held up to a higher standard of conduct than devs who sign up
29 to represent gentoo?
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list