From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Something positive! (was Re: Client-serve flags (again ;))
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:40:09
1 On 11/03/07, Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Jeff Rollin wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 10/03/07, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> > The people who get all bent out of shape about a simple joke like
7 > that
8 > >> > are either homosexual themselves (not a bad thing) or homophobes
9 > >> > (definitely a bad thing).
10 > ..
11 > > OTOH, I don't see how the allegation that people who are homophobic fear
12 > > they may be homosexuals themselves is "shocking", since I've suspected
13 > the
14 > > same on many occasions and know that other people have - and it's imo
15 > > certainly no more shocking than the original comment - which I didn't,
16 > but
17 > > which *could*, be taken as a snide bit of homophobia.
18 > >
19 > Yeah, it's fairly commonly agreed round these parts too. FWIW it wasn't
20 > the
21 > nature of the insult, it was just that there was an insult at all, from
22 > someone i've never spoken to; it made me think that I'm clearly annoying
23 > people and just not welcome. Felt like a kick in the guts after enjoying
24 > myself hanging out on irc. Anyway, *moving swiftly on*, I don't think it's
25 > right to have homophobic jokes (or any offensive jokes or language) as a
26 > general point of common courtesy. Especially not on a mailing-list.
29 Oh, I can think of much more annoying and unwelcome correspondents than you
30 ;-), if on other mailinglists.
33 Simply put: slag me off all you want on irc, but please don't bring it to
34 > the mailing list or the forums. These are effectively archives for how
35 > gentoo grew; certainly I was dismayed by some of the stuff I read, as I
36 > came up to speed with reasons for technical decisions.
37 >
38 > You wouldn't even be allowed to carry on like that on the forums; why
39 > should
40 > we users be held up to a higher standard of conduct than devs who sign up
41 > to represent gentoo?
44 Nicely put.
45
46 Jeff
49 Q: What will happen in the Aftermath?
50
51 A: Impossible to tell, since we're still in the Beforemath.
52
53 http://latedeveloper.org.uk