From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 23:33:58
1 Walter Dnes posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:53:41 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 07:21:21AM +0000, Duncan wrote
4 >> Walter Dnes posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 01:33:04 -0500 as excerpted:
5 >>
6 >>> Actually, for political reasons, I hope that eudev does submit a
7 >>> bunch bugs+patches, and gets them rejected. Then whenever anyone
8 >>> complains about not sharing code, show them a bunch of WONTFIX emails
9 >>> from systemd/udev maintainers.
10 >>
11 >> This attitude is and the described events would be... unfortunate.
12 >>
13 >> For the reasons you list, I don't believe people should be /surprised/
14 >> if many such bugs+patches are rejected after submission, but that
15 >> wouldn't make it any less unfortunate, and IMO, hoping they DO get
16 >> rejected is the wrong attitude to have.
17 >
18 > I should've been clearer in my email, rather than a train-of-thought
19 > approach...
20 >
21 > 1) For appearance's sake and to make our position better in outsiders'
22 > view, I *HOPE* that eudev developers are co-operative in regards to
23 > sharing patches with systemd/udev.
24 >
25 > 2) Given past history, I *EXPECT* at least some bugs to be "resolved"
26 > by the systemd/udev developers as WONTFIX. It was their attitude that
27 > led to eudev in the first place.
28
29 OK, /that/ I agree with. Keep the two-way open from our side so that
30 it's their decision, not ours. Given history, I can't see anyone being
31 terribly surprised if they reject as WONTFIX, but let it be their
32 decision, not ours.
33
34 There's as many differences as parallels, but I keep thinking of the
35 openoffice/libreoffice split. The libreoffice folks bent over backward
36 to keep the license and code something that Oracle/IBM could still use,
37 tho they chose not to. But that was their decision, not the decision of
38 the libreoffice folks. If the systemd-udev/eudev split endures, we could
39 surely do a lot worse than libreoffice and still count it success, and I
40 think we'd do well to emulate them in our bending over backward to retain
41 legal and code reusability between the projects. If they choose not to
42 take advantage, well, that's on them. As with lo/ooo, it may be that the
43 code diverges over time, but let's not throw up artificial barriers to
44 sharing immediately, nor hope that they don't take advantage, even if we
45 won't be surprised should they chose not to.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman