From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 17:33:23
1 On 08/08/2017 07:23 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > Can you think of any? I cannot see any operator wanting a binary of a
3 > binary, or a package of sources. When they already have a sources
4
5 - The machine you're installing it on might not have internet access so
6 you want to have the files stored in a single location for wrapping it up.
7
8 - You might want an audit trail of installed packages, so using the
9 binary files on specific media ensures same copy is installed everywhere
10
11 - You might be applying local patches through /etc/portage/patches that
12 are distributed to all clients
13