From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 18:21:07
1 On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 19:32:48 +0200
2 Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/08/2017 07:23 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 > > Can you think of any? I cannot see any operator wanting a binary of
6 > > a binary, or a package of sources. When they already have a
7 > > sources
8 >
9 > - The machine you're installing it on might not have internet access
10 > so you want to have the files stored in a single location for
11 > wrapping it up.
12
13 Not sure that would be any different between distfiles and packages.
14
15 > - You might want an audit trail of installed packages, so using the
16 > binary files on specific media ensures same copy is installed
17 > everywhere
18
19 Doesn't the manifest/hash aspect of ebuilds ensure that for the
20 tarballs already? If installing same version, same tarball, Its all the
21 same already.
22
23 > - You might be applying local patches through /etc/portage/patches
24 > that are distributed to all clients
25
26 This might be the strongest reason. Though would only apply to stuff
27 like say kernel sources. Not sure what patches could be applied to a
28 binary ebuild, -bin. A patch would not effect src_install per my
29 understanding.
30