From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 02:32:46
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I thought Gentoo was not depending on git/github either.
4 > Take 5min and read the wikipedia articles on both git and github, please.
5 >
6 > Gentoo is not going to depend on github, because of the social contract issues.
7 >
8 > Gentoo absolutely does depend on git, and it is 100% FOSS.
9 >
10 > If these statements seem contradictory, you really need to look up a
11 > video on git 101/etc. To be fair, I don't think you can truly use git
12 > without first groking it, and you won't accomplish that until you
13 > understand its data model. Git is a terrific data model wrapped in a
14 > mediocre command line utility.
17 Based on Robin's earlier post, it seems this is going to be fixed, how
18 and when may still be open tho. The reason github entered into this is
19 not because I am confusing the two but because very shortly after this
20 change, I had to go to the github website to find out what changed with
21 some packages because I was having upgrade issues. That is what made me
22 mention github. If I have to go to github to get info about a Gentoo
23 package and it isn't available on a Gentoo site, that sounds fishy. I
24 also recall that at that time, package.gentoo.org was not updating
25 either. That is why a link was posted for me to use github instead. I
26 do realize and understand that git and github are two different things
27 but it seems they can work together as well. It ended up that the info
28 I needed was on github but not to be found on any Gentoo site at the time.
29
30 My other issue is how these two match up time wise. I synced the tree
31 yesterday. If I go to github or even packages.gentoo.org to see a
32 changelog, that info may be out of date. That is why some of us want
33 them to be done at the same time and stored locally. Changes that were
34 made overnight and today don't apply to me because my tree is older than
35 that. If I sync then run to the website, it may be more relevant but it
36 can't be guaranteed that it is.
37
38 Dale
39