From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>, esammer@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 19:52:34
1 On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:34 +0200, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2 > I noted that projects whose requirements indicate they will be
3 (amongst
4 > other architectures) ppc compatible, but are implemented and designed
5 > by people without much ppc expertise and whose lead hasn't
6 proactively
7 > involved people with ppc expertise, at least for testing (assuming
8 > something testable is available), will require a lot of work on my
9 part
10 > when they suddenly become obliged (as in: a feature for all the
11 > architectures releasing), in this case less than 2 weeks before I
12 need
13 > to start building the 2004.2 release. (check releng release roadmap).
14 >
15 > A few remarks:
16 >
17 > - The uml/design looks good, but I can't seem to find any code. I
18 would
19 > like to point out that release features need to be completed (and
20 > tested) before the release is build, which is rather soon,
21 > unfortunately.
22 Code is in cvs under the gentoo/src/installer/ directory. It will be
23 tough to get the installer included in the 2004.2 release as we are
24 trying very hard to structure it so that it will be easily portable to
25 other architectures.
26
27 > - The ppc livecd differs from the x86 livecd. Can you check your
28 > dependencies against our release doc and let me know in advance what
29 > needs to be added. That way the ppc livecd is ready by the time you
30 > want to include something for testing.
31
32 All we really need is python and then whatever partitioning utility will
33 be used (preferably pyparted, currently marked only ~x86, but probably
34 works on other arches).
35
36 > - I think the GLIarchitectureTemplate and GLIInstallProfile
37 subclasses
38 > need to be implemented by the architectures. Can you let me know the
39 > specifics.
40
41 We have debated this. Esammer has me working on delegation instead.
42 However, I'm beginning to think that it will take much more time to use
43 delegation instead of inheritance. I'd like to eventually move to that
44 model (delegation) as it is generally a better design.
45
46 > - X needs to be set up semi-automatically on the ppc X-enabled
47 livecds,
48 > Xeasyconf-ng will probably/hopefully change that.
49
50 There is no X/GTK/KDE based GUI yet, so we don't need that yet.
51
52 > - Genkernel is a bottleneck, in theory a new genkernel release is
53 > needed for each kernel revision, otherwise the kernel won't be
54 > installable. (My suggestion is to include a livecd .config in the
55 > kernel ebuild, or drop the user to menuconfig/Xconfig otherwise)
56
57 Agreed. Warpzero and I are writing a GLEP for genkernel.
58
59 > - Is there an eta for a beta ebuild?
60
61 Not yet... However, I want to try and get one out soon. I'll talk to
62 esammer about this. However, I don't suspect that alpha builds will
63 have non-x86 support. That will probably be a beta feature.
64
65 Nathaniel
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list