From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: esammer@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 19:34:38
1 On 02 May 2004, at 19:01, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 12:37, Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
4 >> I haven't seen anything tangible about a beta installer.
5 >>
6 >> History learns that it will most likely be totally PPC incompatible
7 >> and
8 >> require hours of patching on my part. Hours I'd like to spend on some,
9 >> more thrilling parts such as portage-ng.
10 >
11 > Perhaps you or another member of the PPC team could jump in early,
12 > while
13 > it's easiest to deal with any issues, instead of a preemptive
14 > complaint.
15 > Communication is the key here. People without PPC expertise can't
16 > magically make things work on PPC without knowing all the issues at
17 > hand.
18
19 I noted that projects whose requirements indicate they will be (amongst
20 other architectures) ppc compatible, but are implemented and designed
21 by people without much ppc expertise and whose lead hasn't proactively
22 involved people with ppc expertise, at least for testing (assuming
23 something testable is available), will require a lot of work on my part
24 when they suddenly become obliged (as in: a feature for all the
25 architectures releasing), in this case less than 2 weeks before I need
26 to start building the 2004.2 release. (check releng release roadmap).
27
28 A few remarks:
29
30 - The uml/design looks good, but I can't seem to find any code. I would
31 like to point out that release features need to be completed (and
32 tested) before the release is build, which is rather soon,
33 unfortunately.
34 - The ppc livecd differs from the x86 livecd. Can you check your
35 dependencies against our release doc and let me know in advance what
36 needs to be added. That way the ppc livecd is ready by the time you
37 want to include something for testing.
38 - I think the GLIarchitectureTemplate and GLIInstallProfile subclasses
39 need to be implemented by the architectures. Can you let me know the
40 specifics.
41 - X needs to be set up semi-automatically on the ppc X-enabled livecds,
42 Xeasyconf-ng will probably/hopefully change that.
43 - Genkernel is a bottleneck, in theory a new genkernel release is
44 needed for each kernel revision, otherwise the kernel won't be
45 installable. (My suggestion is to include a livecd .config in the
46 kernel ebuild, or drop the user to menuconfig/Xconfig otherwise)
47 - Is there an eta for a beta ebuild?
48
49 Best regards,
50