From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: ion license
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 08:41:43
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o> wrote:
3 > > How's that? I agree that this timely response clause will mean ion-3
4 > > will never go stable. That's the only thing i could envision to be a
5 > > policy violation.
6 >
7 > Right, and packages that aren't aiming for stable eventually shouldn't
8 > really be in the tree at all.
9
10 Point taken. Tbh, i don't think allowing ion to remain in ~arch would be
11 a big deal though.
12
13 > A larger issue, though... It requires some way of pushing updates to a
14 > user who hasn't synced for >28 days.
15
16 The license explicitly makes a exception for a user who hasn't updated
17 or is without net connection, demanding the new version to be shown at
20 > If upstream release a new version that has a serious bug, Gentoo would
21 > be required to include it as the most visible package within 28 days,
22 > even if it is completely unusable.
23
24 In that case, i will provide a patch or pull the package, if upstream
25 disagrees. However, if it's a critical fix (security), i trust upstream
26 to release a new version asap. On that note: the QA warnings have a
27 patch with gentoo and will be included in the next upstream release. I
28 intend to handle any other fix the same way, and upstream has not spoken
29 out against this.
30
31 > If he doesn't want to hinder distributions, get him to fix his licence.
32 > The way it is now makes it impossible for distributions to do their job.
33
34 We all agree it's retarded. However, i can't change the way it is.
35
36 > > In general: i don't think forking is an option. I won't be
37 > > maintaining a fork myself to begin with.
38 >
39 > Probably true, from a Gentoo perspective. If there's a significant ion
40 > userbase, someone else will do the work.
41
42 There's already someone doing the work for gentoo. Look at bug
43 #136077, which is, tbh, one of my main motivators to work on that
44 package. I just feel that letting (contributing) users down would be
45 kind of a shame.
46 --
47 Regards, Matti Bickel
48 Encrypted/Signed Email preferred