From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why I don't think the CoC is a good idea
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:15:43
1 On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:06:28 +0100
2 Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > [...] But then, why do we need a Code of Conduct at all? There
5 > is nothing in it that people don't already know and if they choose to
6 > still commit the offense, it's either that they don't think it's one
7 > or that they choose to ignore the consequences and commit it anyway.
8 > In both cases, having a written code won't change a thing.
9
10 This is a good point; effectiveness is key, and in designing a CoC one
11 should be crystal clear what the document is expected to achieve.
12 In the defense of having a CoC, it does provide a document we can point
13 to when asking people who don't realise their behaviour is disruptive,
14 to moderate that behaviour.
15
16 Before we commit ourselves to a CoC, we should agree what the CoC
17 precisely is _for_ - setting out the document scope should be the
18 first priority. Here are some examples of what I mean by setting a
19 document scope first:
20
21 "The aim of the CoC is to encourage developers to work together
22 productively in a positive atmosphere."
23
24 "The aim of the CoC is to provide a point of reference for developers
25 and users alike to decide if their behaviour is acceptable."
26
27 "The aim of the CoC is to ensure Gentoo presents a professional image."
28
29 "The aim of the CoC is to define what behaviour is acceptable for
30 Gentoo developers and users."
31
32 "The aim of the CoC is to force all developers to adhere to an
33 Anglo-Saxon work ethic."
34
35 Just some examples; I'm not suggesting any are right, and some are
36 deliberately tongue-in-cheek. What I'm trying to do, is highlight the
37 point that having a well-defined scope makes it easy to critically
38 and objectively examine what should and should not be in the CoC.
39
40 The scope can be decided in broad discussion - after which the CoC can
41 be drafted off-line and then presented for review against the scope
42 before final sign-off.
45 Kevin F. Quinn