From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bleeding edge hardened-sources: move PaX markings from ELF to Extended Attributes
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 05:18:05
Anthony G. Basile posted on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:08:37 -0500 as excerpted:

> I've been doing some experimental work with PaX enabled kernels
> The disadvantage is that xattrs is not supported on all filesystems
> b) Kernels 3.0 and above support xattrs in tmpfs, squashfs and other > filesystems.
[I debated sending this offlist as my interest isn't entirely on-topic, but as I wrote it up, it became apparent that the question itself isn't as off-topic as I thought, so on-list it stayed.] TL;DR: reiserfs (v3), for both caps and XT_PAX ?? Longer: Does reiserfs (v3) support xattrs and thus, presumably caps and XT_PAX? Kernel reiserfs options suggest yes, but everything I've read elsewhere (including gentoo-dev caps project discussions) seems to indicate no. Is the "no" simply outdated, since reiserfs xattrs support was added relatively late in the game, or is it still correct and I have the purpose of those kernel options all wrong, or ??? If both reiserfs and tmpfs (my $PORTAGE_TMPDIR) support xattrs, both caps and XT_PAX should be good to go, correct? Ignorable background: I've been running reiserfs since early in the kernel 2.4 era, before switching to gentoo, and have had quite a good experience on it since it got ordered journals by default (before that, let's not talk about), despite a period with bad RAM that was hard- crashing the system frequently, no UPS, and apparently missing barriers until quite recently. I've even been stable when others had problems with ext3 due to its writeback-by-default period. I intend to eventually switch to btrfs but there's still more kernel churn there than I'm comfortable with, especially running live-git kernels as I normally do, and of course, it's still lacking a proper fsck (tho arguably reiserfs' fsck support has always been "interesting" as well, and that's not such a big deal given the backups I already keep based on pre-ordered era experience). My interest is therefore in whether USE=caps does people on reiserfs any good or not, but the same concerns would appear to apply to XT_PAX on reiserfs, as well. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman