From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla etiquette suggestions
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:18:06
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:32:39 +0000 Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o> wrote:
3 > | It may feel a little harsh to give someone a canned response just by
4 > | pasting a URL in the comment field, but curious readers will find his
5 > | faq.txt which explains nicely that we aren't evil/lazy, we just have
6 > | a lot of work to do. Thanks Ciaran!
7 >
8 > And some users throw a hissy fit when given a detailed link to a canned
9 > response and demand that in future they get personally typed out
10 > explanations rather than a link to a detailed pre-written resource that
11 > goes into far more depth than anyone could possibly manage in a
12 > personalised response. Hence why I no longer spend much time helping in
13 > maintainer-wanted bugs unless a submitter specifically asks me to take
14 > a look at something for them -- all it takes is for one user to escalate
15 > their hissy fit to a devrel bug...
16 >
17 > Oh, and don't think that this behaviour is limited to end users. Sadly
18 > the same thing has been observed in certain Gentoo developers.
19
20 Perhaps pasting the response into the bug itself would prevent most of
21 this. It just takes a few seconds, but feels more personal.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie