From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: Social Contract change & What is "Gentoo" ?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:11:22
1 When you take a look at our current social contract
2 (http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml) you will read that it talks
3 about "Gentoo Linux" exclusively. However, with Gentoo growing and non-Linux
4 ports in the make, it might be wise to change the naming from "Gentoo Linux"
5 to "Gentoo".
6
7 The main question however is: "What is Gentoo"? When will we talk about
8 "Gentoo" and when do we talk about "a project" that "the Gentoo Project" is
9 working on?
10
11 Based on the feedback I gathered from the managers meeting and from
12 developers, I'd like to propose something along the following lines:
13
14 """
15 We call a collection of software "Gentoo" when:
16 - it in total is able to boot itself (self-hosting)
17 - it is actively developed by the Gentoo Project
18 - its main software management application is a native Portage
19
20 With "actively developed" it is meant that:
21 - the project has specific development/user channels (mailinglist & irc)
22 - the project is listed on the Gentoo Projects page [1]
23
24 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/index.xml?showlevel=2
25 """
26
27 Any thoughts (both on the s/Gentoo Linux/Gentoo/ and Gentoo definition? I'm
28 sure there are lots of questions about the above proposal, so fire away.
29
30 Wkr,
31 Sven Vermeulen
34 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.