From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Secure Gentoo (again)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:02:45
1 On Sunday 21 April 2002 23:23, Joachim Blaabjerg wrote:
2 > I would really like to go back to older, patched releases of some software,
3 > for stability. In my opinion, stability is about as important as security
4 > in Secure Gentoo. Is that okay, and if it is, how should it be carried out?
5
6 I think this should be coordinated with the people that want to introduce
7 different kinds of "currentness levels". Then you can just use the stable
8 branch for the secure Gentoo too.
9
10 Also I'd say even a normal gentoo install should be as secure as possible. I
11 for example made some quake and halflife ebuilds. Of course you can just run
12 the server as root, its all so simple but I made an extra user for each of
13 them and the server gets started as q3 and hl user respectively. It's not too
14 hard to do such things in your ebuild but it will make it easier to have a
15 secure gentoo install without too much hassle.
16
17 If every single package obeys to some simple security rules, the rest is much
18 simpler to do.
19
20 Alex
23 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
24 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
25 Benjamin Franklin