From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] duplicated USE flag (unicode & utf8)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 18:45:48
1 On Tuesday 03 May 2005 02:30 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:21:58 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | as many know, i dont use unicode, so i'm a bit ignorant of it ...
6 > |
7 > | is there a good reason for having both a global 'unicode' USE flag and
8 > | a bunch of local 'utf8' USE flags ? or should i file bugs for people
9 > | to stop using 'utf8' and use 'unicode' instead ?
10 >
11 > utf8 is a particular way of encoding unicode. I'd say that the 'unicode'
12 > flag would be sufficient, except if for some reason the following
13 > bizarre setup were to occur:
14
15 yeah, that is pretty weird, and i'm pretty sure that doesnt apply to the 4
16 packages i noticed :)
17
18 besides, it's not like we're tackling utf16 / utf32 / blah (yet)
19 -mike
20 --
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list