From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 04:38:51
1 Richard Yao posted on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:20:13 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > The only thing that might require a merge is systemd and it is not in
4 > @system. If we offered users the ability to choose rc systems, we would
5 > still be supporting baselayout-1's rc system. If we start now, we should
6 > bring that back.
7
8 Just addressing this little bit.
9
10 The first and primary requirement for gentoo support of any rc/init
11 system is that there's someone (gentoo dev or not, but baselayout was
12 gentoo based so gentoo dev, or at least an advanced gentoo user, would be
13 most likely) interested in maintaining it as upstream, and a gentoo dev
14 (can be the same person) interested in maintaining the gentoo package/
15 ebuild. Gentoo's a community distro build on FLOSS, and if nobody's
16 interested in assuming that work/responsibility for either gentoo or as
17 upstream, ultimately, it gets tree-cleaned.
18
19 Think about it.
22 Consider things like kde3 and the kde-sunset overlay, too. That's not
23 system init, but you're likely talking a job of similar size to continue
24 to support it, with all the necessary initscripts, etc. kde-sunset is
25 what happens when there's sufficiently interested users but no
26 sufficiently interested gentoo devs, and/or a break in upstream
27 maintainership (tho it eventually continued via the trinity project).
30 Other (not even officially supported) init systems such as systemd that
31 happen to be in our tree have at least that required minimum, and remain
32 in the tree. kde3, despite having an active remaining gentoo userbase
33 that continues to maintain it to some degree, didn't have that minimum.
34
35 But I can say this. If there had been a sufficient level of gentoo
36 developer interest in maintaining kde3 in-tree, it would have happened.
37 Where there's developer interest, the product says around. There simply
38 weren't developers stepping up to maintain it, so it ended up in an
39 overlay.
42 The same thing applies to baselayout-1... and for that matter,
43 baselayout-2/openrc. If there had been sufficient developer interest in
44 maintaining a working baselayout-1, it would have happened. Without it,
45 no arbitrary ruling, no "if systemd, then baselayout-1", no "thus saith
46 the council", will change it.
47
48 Similarly, no wishing, "should be"s, decrees from council, etc, got
49 baselayout-2/openrc stabilized, until williamh volunteered to push on it
50 (certainly with help from others, but it didn't happen until someone
51 stepped up to take personal responsibility for ensuring that it WOULD
52 happen) until it got done.
55 What you're seeing here with the unified / and /usr idea is more or less
56 a similar dynamic, tho to quite a lessor extent. Upstreams are making
57 their choices, and the gentoo maintainers of the corresponding packages
58 are making /their/ choices. That's all there is to it. Upstream's going
59 its way, but regardless of that, if there's sufficient interest among
60 gentoo devs to guarantee patch development, testing, deployment, further
61 testing, stabilization, and bug followup, gentoo WILL continue to make an
62 initr*-less separate /usr work.
63
64 But one of the things that had (at least until recently, I've seen
65 arguments that it's breaking down now, with android, ubuntu, etc, going
66 their own way to a greater extent than most before, and android
67 especially is big enough to pull it off!) kept Linux from fragmenting the
68 way the old Unices did was that while FLOSS ALLOWS forking, it also
69 provides significant pressure to ONLY fork where one REALLY feels it's a
70 high priority deal. Otherwise, it's simply less work and less expense,
71 to go with upstream. That's why we have all these distributions, each
72 generally different in their own way (and gentoo's certainly rather
73 different from the generally binary distros, for sure!), but except for
74 the features that a particular distro is emphasizing, that it thinks are
75 important enough to be worth the trouble of maintaining that
76 differentiation, it tends to stay pretty close to mainline.
79 Which again, is exactly the dynamic we're seeing here. What we're going
80 thru right now, with all the threads and discussion related to this, is
81 simply debating whether, as a distro, gentoo considers this
82 differentiation from upstream worth the cost of continued maintenance.
83 Which is where the point I made above comes in. If there's no gentoo
84 devs caring enough to make it their job to ensure that support remains,
85 the default will simply be to follow upstream, only maintaining the
86 minimal patches necessary to continue what gentoo, individually and
87 collectively, finds high enough priority to be worth the time and effort
88 cost to maintain the differentiation.
89
90 And as of now, just as with kde3, the fact of the matter is that despite
91 a decent level of interest from users, it doesn't look like we have the
92 necessary interest from devs to commit to such support, long-term. What
93 we're seeing is devs committing to maintaining support for the short and
94 intermediate (?) future, out perhaps six months to a year or two, but the
95 differentiation cost trend beyond that looks to increase quite
96 dramatically, and at least at present, we don't have enough developers
97 willing to commit to maintaining it beyond that.
100 And the thing is, no "should"s are going to change that. If you (and
101 other users, personally I'm in the middle, interested but not caring
102 enough to really commit to it) want it, there's two ways to get it:
103
104 1) Start now, and either convince enough current devs or convince to join
105 enough new devs, so when the time comes, that commitment can be made,
106 even if it means a significantly increased patch load, to the point of de-
107 facto or official forking.
108
109 2) Get ready for a user-managed overlay, similar to kde-sunset.
110
111 Of course the other alternative would be to find a distro more suitable,
112 but for a lot of gentooers, that's not an alternative they consider
113 viable, as gentoo's close enough to what they want that there really
114 /aren't/ a lot of distros even /close/ to suitable, let alone /more/ so.
115 Of course, both users and distros change over time, and a lot can happen
116 in two years, but...
117
118 Then of course there's the "found your own distro" club... Something
119 gentoo's founder, Daniel Robbins, has done more than once, now... But of
120 course just as his current gentoo-based funtoo (and other gentoo-based
121 distros, after all, gentoo even claims meta-distro, so gentoo-based distro
122 fits right in!), just because you do your own thing doesn't mean you
123 can't base on gentoo to whatever degree you want/need, as long as you
124 maintain compatible licensing and at least semi-compatible package-
125 management.
130 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman