From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-2.6.12
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:24:02
1 Omkhar Arasaratnam posted <42B422E6.2090602@g.o>, excerpted below,
2 on Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:34:30 -0400:
3
4 > As a ppc64 arch and can officially state that reiser4fs is very unstable
5 > under ppc64 as of the last time I checked, which was some where in the
6 > 2.6.12rc cycle plus mm patch.
7
8 Likewise for amd64, according to those that have tested. That, and the
9 fact that it's not an option yet with 2.6.12-rc6 (which I'm running) and
10 that Linus was certainly toning down changes by rc5 time, made me really
11 surprised that someone could believe it was in .12 at all.
12
13 FWIW, the Corbet mentioned in the thread-linked article is the lead editor
14 for LWN (Linux Weekly News), at lwn.net. I'd think it would have covered
15 reiser4, just as it has covered other major kernel developments, if it was
16 heading for mainline any time in the immediate future. The article
17 created the wrong impression saying that was targeted at .12. Corbet
18 never said that, only that it was to go into mainline "eventually". To
19 its credit, that's what the article said, altho it had mentioned 2.6.12
20 earlier so one could get the wrong impression. I have no reason to
21 believe reiser4 will be added in the next couple releases, either, so
22 2.6.15 or later I'd guess, tho I have no exclusive info on it to cause me
23 to think that.
24
25 Anyway, if you are interested in kernel development, I'd suggest watching
26 LWN. It has been very helpful, here. I'm a subscriber (available from
27 US$2.50/mo), but most daily content (including the kernel announcements)
28 is available immediately to all, and the weekly (including the very
29 informative here weekly kernel page) is available one-week delayed, for
30 those unwilling or unable to do the subscription thing.
31
32 All that said, I'm not sure why this thread is on gentoo-dev. It's really
33 not gentoo-dev related. gentoo-user would have been more appropriate, IMO.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
39 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list