From: Omkhar Arasaratnam <omkhar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-2.6.12
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:38:28
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2
3 >Kumba wrote:
7 >>I'm just stating this, because once reiserfs4 goes mainline (I believe
8 >>it's in -mm currently), we are bound to have users hitting various bumps
9 >>and ruts in the road using it, and if they file bugs to our bugzilla
10 >>that aren't related to patches we produce, then they'll likely wind up
11 >>closed as invalid and such. This saves the users time, and may get them
12 >>the answers they seek (or at least a resolution of some kind). It also
13 >>saves our bug-wranglers time by now having to deal with more invalid bugs.
18 >We can always patch the problem in the g-s ^^
19 >
20 >Given reiserfs4 is around for enough time and lots of brave users tested
21 >it, it MAY be not so unstable. (still I like jfs and xfs more, and I use
22 >them just for transient data (large video and image processing tests and
23 >so on))
27 As a ppc64 arch and can officially state that reiser4fs is very unstable
28 under ppc64 as of the last time I checked, which was some where in the
29 2.6.12rc cycle plus mm patch.
30
31 That said, we're not RedHat. We ship as MANY features as we can and let
32 the user decide. I agree that it is valuable to get reiser4 testing done
33 up front. Eventually - some people will use it. Last I checked "I think
34 $FOO is stupid" wasn't a valid closure code in bugzilla ;-)
39 Omkhar Arasaratnam - Gentoo PPC64 Developer
40 omkhar@g.o - http://dev.gentoo.org/~omkhar
41 Gentoo Linux / PPC64 Linux: http://ppc64.gentoo.org
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list