From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: multilib-strict no longer in FEATURES of targets/developer/make.defaults (pending on bug 424423)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:17:26
1 On 14/08/2012 09:57, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 >
3 > Sorry I was vague in that statement, I meant moving to both /usr/lib/
4 > when suitable (and usually the default from upstream lately) and
5 > /usr/lib64/xfce* (Location of .so Xfce plugins)
6 > Xfce had compability code for finding plugins from /usr/libexec only for
7 > 4.10 series, and is marked as -DXFCE_DEPRECATED code, 4.12 will solely
8 > use /usr/lib64/xfce4/
9 > I've done nothing against the status quo, only following sane reasoning
10 > and defaults from upstreams who have made a strong case for it being so,
11 > or when they have actually made it impossible without carrying custom
12 > patches forever
13
14 For plugins (if they are plugins) we really need to use the $libdir as
15 they are ABI-dependent, so I'm perfectly happy with moving them out of
16 libexec (shouldn't have been there in the first place).
17
18 I'd still would like a revisit by council for what concerns /usr/libexec
19 though. I'm afraid that last time I let it slide after Kugelfang
20 promised he would write a draft that never came, as we had issue with cups.
21
22 In general, I'm in favour of using lib (and not $libdir) if they are
23 _executables_, which means they are not loaded in the same address space
24 of any other program. I'm just concerned of having another hundred
25 directories in /usr/lib as that could slow down ld.so...
28 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
29 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/