From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] DEPEND/RDEPEND question
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:57:07
1 Lets say a package foo depends on bar, both at compile time and run time.
2 Shouldn't DEPEND _and_ RDEPEND of the foo package reflect that
3 dependency? I usually set DEPEND="$RDEPEND ..." or vice-versa (depending
4 on which is the most demanding). Am I utterly wrong here?
5 I know that when a package is installed the usual way (not from a binary
6 tarball) dependencies==RDEPEND+DEPEND, but portage functionality could
7 change in the future. It may not be the wisest decision ever made, but
8 portage could very well remove whatever dependencies are found in DEPEND
9 - RDEPEND, once the package is installed.