From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE groups) and negatives
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:21:53
1 On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:24:15 +0100 Maurice van der Pot
2 <griffon26@g.o> wrote:
3
4 | > I'm in favour of 2) personally, but others disagree. I'd like a
5 | > proper discussion on this before trying to get the GLEP through.
6 |
7 | What I am still missing is a good argument _FOR_ negatives. We are
8 | talking about negatives within groups, right? I agree with you that if
9 | we choose 2, sooner or later it's going to get screwed up. We must
10 | have a better reason for allowing them than just the off chance that
11 | negatives might be useful in a way we cannot forsee yet.
12
13 Reasons we want to allow negatives:
14 * They are useful in certain situations.
15 * They could reasonably be expected to work -- negatives work in other
16 places.
17 * Not supporting negatives simply because they cause complications is
18 basically admitting that we suck.
21 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
22 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm