From: Maurice van der Pot <griffon26@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE groups) and negatives
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:26:31
1 On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 04:28:49PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0029.html
3 >
4 > We need to decide upon a solution to the -flags problem. The proposed
5 > solutions are:
6 >
7 > 1) Disallow all negatives. Disadvantages: we don't tend to disallow
8 > things just because users could shoot themselves in the foot with them.
9 >
10 > 2) Allow negatives, and document how to use them correctly.
11 > Disadvantages: sooner or later, some developer isn't going to read the
12 > docs, and will really really screw things up with a misunderstanding.
13 >
14 ...
15 >
16 > 5) Use some weird tristate notation. Disadvantages: not everyone has the
17 > slightest clue what set theory is.
18
19 'some weird tristate notation' must be what I proposed previously. =)
20
21 I'm still convinced that the use of it would be easy, both for
22 developers and for users, but I do acknowledge some (minor) issues like
23 finding another usable character for the new notation.
24
25 The last time I tried to explain my proposal, everybody except myself
26 seemed to think it was complicated, so I will not try to promote it
27 anymore, it's in the archives already.
28
29 > I'm in favour of 2) personally, but others disagree. I'd like a proper
30 > discussion on this before trying to get the GLEP through.
31
32 What I am still missing is a good argument _FOR_ negatives. We are
33 talking about negatives within groups, right? I agree with you that if
34 we choose 2, sooner or later it's going to get screwed up. We must have
35 a better reason for allowing them than just the off chance that negatives
36 might be useful in a way we cannot forsee yet.
37
38 If there is such a reason, I'd also pick 2.
39
40 Maurice.
43 Maurice van der Pot
44