From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE groups) and negatives
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:29:25
1 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0029.html
2
3 We need to decide upon a solution to the -flags problem. The proposed
4 solutions are:
5
6 1) Disallow all negatives. Disadvantages: we don't tend to disallow
7 things just because users could shoot themselves in the foot with them.
8
9 2) Allow negatives, and document how to use them correctly.
10 Disadvantages: sooner or later, some developer isn't going to read the
11 docs, and will really really screw things up with a misunderstanding.
12
13 3) Reorder USE flags. Disadvantages: can't disable flags set by a group.
14 Breaks existing USE lines.
15
16 4) Have portage warn on dodgy USE flag lines. Disadvantages: tricky,
17 hard for the end user to figure out.
18
19 5) Use some weird tristate notation. Disadvantages: not everyone has the
20 slightest clue what set theory is.
21
22 I'm in favour of 2) personally, but others disagree. I'd like a proper
23 discussion on this before trying to get the GLEP through.
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm