From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE groups) and negatives
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:16:59
1 On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:28:49 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0029.html
5 >
6 > We need to decide upon a solution to the -flags problem. The proposed
7 > solutions are:
8 >
9 > 1) Disallow all negatives. Disadvantages: we don't tend to disallow
10 > things just because users could shoot themselves in the foot with
11 > them.
12 >
13 > 2) Allow negatives, and document how to use them correctly.
14 > Disadvantages: sooner or later, some developer isn't going to read the
15 > docs, and will really really screw things up with a misunderstanding.
16 >
17 > 3) Reorder USE flags. Disadvantages: can't disable flags set by a
18 > group. Breaks existing USE lines.
19 >
20 > 4) Have portage warn on dodgy USE flag lines. Disadvantages: tricky,
21 > hard for the end user to figure out.
22 >
23 > 5) Use some weird tristate notation. Disadvantages: not everyone has
24 > the slightest clue what set theory is.
25 >
26 > I'm in favour of 2) personally, but others disagree. I'd like a proper
27 > discussion on this before trying to get the GLEP through.
28
29 Hmm, are talking about what should be technically possible or what
30 should be supported? Personally I'd like to have negatives available
31 but label them as unsupported ("if you play with this it's all your
32 fault"), that would also mean that predefined groups don't use them.
33
34 Marius
39 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
40 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.