From: Matthieu Sozeau <mattam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:51:47
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2004 14:21, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I couldn't really follow all that you said, but bug 39246 made a lot more
5 > sense. Let me see if I can summarise your requirements...
6 >
7 > For portage's role,
8 > * The compiler is slotted
9 > * The libraries are slotted against the compiler that was used to compile
10 > them
11 > * When the compiler is upgraded, all libraries are recompiled with the
12 > new compiler
13 >
14 > Then there is a compiler-config proggy that'll set what compiler is
15 > currently in use. Does that about sum it up?
16
17 That's what i implemented yes, my proposal just adds more flexibility and
18 describe a correct (i hope) design (avoiding the use of dynamic SLOTs for the
19 libraries, as the 'dynamicity' would be in the hands of portage only with
20 compiler policies).
21
22 > If the compiler wasn't slotted, the compiler-config program wouldn't be
23 > necessary and the other two requirements would be easy to satisfy. If it
24 > is...
25
26 We obviously have to use static SLOTs to support different compiler
27 versions...
28
29 > Anyway, I'll let you confirm that these are the actual requirements
30 > before bouncing around ideas.
31
32 I confirm those are the main ideas, go on !
33 --
34 BOFH Excuse #447: According to Microsoft, it's by design