From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:35:00
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2004 21:53, Matthieu Sozeau wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 10 August 2004 14:21, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I couldn't really follow all that you said, but bug 39246 made a lot more
6 > > sense. Let me see if I can summarise your requirements...
7 > >
8 > > For portage's role,
9 > > * The compiler is slotted
10 > > * The libraries are slotted against the compiler that was used to compile
11 > > them
12 > > * When the compiler is upgraded, all libraries are recompiled with the
13 > > new compiler
14 > >
15 > > Then there is a compiler-config proggy that'll set what compiler is
16 > > currently in use. Does that about sum it up?
17 >
18 > That's what i implemented yes,
19
20 Which means that it'll be mishandled once portage makes use of SLOTs as the
21 SLOTting is wrong until it is installed.
22
23 > my proposal just adds more flexibility and describe a correct (i hope)
24 > design (avoiding the use of dynamic SLOTs for the libraries, as the
25 > 'dynamicity' would be in the hands of portage only with compiler policies).
26
27 I don't understand how dynamic slots are avoided. Whether the information is
28 in a variable named SLOT or is deduced from a combination of a package's deps
29 and the compiler policy, I don't see a difference. Have I misunderstood
30 something?
31
32 > > If the compiler wasn't slotted, the compiler-config program wouldn't be
33 > > necessary and the other two requirements would be easy to satisfy. If it
34 > > is...
35 >
36 > We obviously have to use static SLOTs to support different compiler
37 > versions...
38
39 Well.. if the compiler wasn't slotted (or portage only had to care about the
40 most recent version installed [which is wrong imo]) everything could be
41 handled by simply adding a new variable to state that any reverse deps
42 compiled against a version of this package outside of said atom must be
43 recompiled.
44
45 For example, foobar-2.3:xDEPEND="=foobar-2*". When upgrading from foobar-1.7,
46 anything that was built with foobar-1.7 would be recompiled after foobar-2.3
47 was installed.
48
49 > > Anyway, I'll let you confirm that these are the actual requirements
50 > > before bouncing around ideas.
51 >
52 > I confirm those are the main ideas, go on !
53
54 And the major issue that covers this entire thread...
55
56 emerge '~dev-lang/ocaml-3.06'
57 emerge lablgtk
58 emerge -u dev-lang/ocaml
59 emerge lablgl
60
61 The issue that's preventing this from happening is whether portage should also
62 emerge lablgl against ocaml-3.06. I believe it should and I think it is a
63 requirement for most of the people that want dynamically slotted packages.
64
65 Regards,
66 Jason Stubbs
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list