From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 18:46:29
1 On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 09:06:11 +0300
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
5 > On 09/07/14 07:24, Tom Wijsman wrote:
6 > >> [...] confusions with newer people...
7 > > Ironically; my first Portage tree action "add a directory" got a
8 > > "don't throw [expletive] into [games category]" reply, before
9 > > adding the ebuild.
10 > >
11 > > One really can't expect new people to start to address a team like
12 > > that prior to addition; I've assumed for some time that contacting
13 > > the teams is a necessity before addition of an ebuild, but that
14 > > quickly turned out to be false for most if not all other teams.
17 > Well, I consider gnome-base/ to be [...]
18
19 True, but as rich0 has written a detailed reply about is that it
20 isn't about the categories; it's rather just that it becomes more
21 noticeable when it is committed to such, that doesn't imply that all
22 GNOME-ly packages in other categories are suddenly GNOME team reviewed.
23
24 There's like for example an "unofficial" MATE display manager floating
25 around, I think it's mdm in short; I wouldn't care if someone added it
26 to the Portage tree, as long as it isn't given an "official" appearance.
27 It's not like I'll be thoroughly reviewing it as a MATE maintainer...
28
29 Hence, given I assume my ebuilds are of sufficiently high quality and
30 therefore stable candidates, I rarely contact team leads; for those
31 that are of worse quality, I'll contact them soon enough as I'll
32 probably do need the help and/or review then due to lack of knowledge.
33
34 That makes me think that it becomes odd when such stable candidates
35 suddenly receive non maintainer commits or removals as I've read here.
38 With kind regards,
39
40 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
41 Gentoo Developer
42
43 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
44 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
45 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D