From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Finger GLEP
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:17:32
1 I really like this idea for the following reasons:
2
3 1. Information about devs should be sourced from the devs home
4 directory. It means each dev can maintain their own data, and it
5 avoids the problem of having a separate area of which devs need to be
6 aware. Using fingerd automatically meets this "requirement".
7
8 2. If we want to make dev information available on the web as well, it
9 can easily be harvested (once per hour, as somebody mentioned the
10 website is updated) from the dev's home dirs.
11
12 3. I agree with Tavis regarding the ease of using finger to lookup
13 per-developer information such as gpg keys. Using the web is not
14 quick.
15
16 4. I think it would be fantastically easy to have a cvs project hosted
17 in my home directory on dev.g.o with .plan etc. symlinks in the
18 proper $HOME. (For example $HOME/.plan -> $HOME/cvsroot/finger/plan).
19 This would allow me to have a finger project on my home workstation
20 which I could then update whenever appropriate.
21
22 5. I believe that finger indicates the last time that the information
23 presented was updated. This makes it apparent whether a given dev's
24 information is current.
25
26 It seems like a good (usable/maintainable/secure) solution to me, and as
27 Tavis has mentioned, it's already in use by a number of major open
28 source projects.
29
30 Aron