From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Bauno <bauno@××××××.it>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CDRW permissions and devfsd
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:40:15
1 On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 21:03, Bauno wrote:
2 > On Monday 02 September 2002 20:06, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > > We have the PERMISSIONS entry in our /etc/devfsd.conf:
4 > >
5 > > -----------------------cut-------------------------------------
6 > > # Give the cdrw group write permissions to /dev/sg0
7 > > # This is done to have non root user use the burner (scan the scsi bus)
8 > > #REGISTER ^sg0$ PERMISSIONS root.cdrw 660
9 > > ---------------------------------------------------------------
10 > >
11 > > Just commented by default. As I always have my generic scsi into
12 > > kernel, I am not sure that first line is really needed, as there is an
13 > > alias in /etc/modules.devfs. Will try to find the time though to
14 > > verify it.
15 >
16 > The original line in devfsd.conf (that you report above) doesn't work if sg
17 > is compiled as module. You need to set the permissions on the
18 > scsi/bus/.../generic and not on the symbolic links /dev/sg*. I *think* it's
19 > because /dev/sg* doesn't exist (yet) when devfsd tries to apply the
20 > permissions, but I may be wrong.
23 No, the REGISTER means it only gets done when the /dev/sg0 device is
24 registered in the devfs namespace. The only real difference between
25 that line, and:
26
27 REGISTER ^sg.*$ PERMISSIONS root.disk 660
28
29 is that above works for *all* /dev/sg* devices, and have group as "disk"
30 and not "cdrw". devfsd knows to give the permissions to the real device
31 in a line such as above.
32
33 The real fix for modules, is the line:
34
35 LOOKUP ^sg.*$ MODLOAD ACTION sg
36
37 which cause the "sg" module to be loaded when you "lookup" (try to
38 open) /dev/sg*
41 > --
42 > Bauno - Eurydices, oro, properata retexite fata!
43 > "Even now I can feel it. Buried somewhere deep inside. Watching me...
44 > waiting. But you know what scares me the most. When I can't fight it
45 > anymore. When it takes over. When I totally lose control. I like it."
48 > gentoo-dev mailing list
49 > gentoo-dev@g.o