From: Bauno <bauno@××××××.it>
To: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CDRW permissions and devfsd
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 14:05:48
1 On Monday 02 September 2002 20:06, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > We have the PERMISSIONS entry in our /etc/devfsd.conf:
3 >
4 > -----------------------cut-------------------------------------
5 > # Give the cdrw group write permissions to /dev/sg0
6 > # This is done to have non root user use the burner (scan the scsi bus)
7 > #REGISTER ^sg0$ PERMISSIONS root.cdrw 660
8 > ---------------------------------------------------------------
9 >
10 > Just commented by default. As I always have my generic scsi into
11 > kernel, I am not sure that first line is really needed, as there is an
12 > alias in /etc/modules.devfs. Will try to find the time though to
13 > verify it.
14
15 The original line in devfsd.conf (that you report above) doesn't work if sg
16 is compiled as module. You need to set the permissions on the
17 scsi/bus/.../generic and not on the symbolic links /dev/sg*. I *think* it's
18 because /dev/sg* doesn't exist (yet) when devfsd tries to apply the
19 permissions, but I may be wrong.
23 Bauno - Eurydices, oro, properata retexite fata!
24 "Even now I can feel it. Buried somewhere deep inside. Watching me...
25 waiting. But you know what scares me the most. When I can't fight it
26 anymore. When it takes over. When I totally lose control. I like it."