From: "Paul B. Henson" <henson@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libressl status
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 04:45:11
1 On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 01:31:53PM +0200, hasufell wrote:
2
3 > Not anymore. We will go for "libressl" USE flag for the same reason
4 > there is a "libav" USE flag now (working subslots etc).
5
6 Um, ok. That still only allows one or the other to be installed though,
7 right? So if you want a package that only works with openssl and one
8 that only works with libressl, you are left wanting :)?
9
10 > decision... I guess you could still try to provide a compatibility patch
11 > for openssl.
12
13 I mentioned that to Brent Cook, who is currently maintaining the
14 portable version, and I don't think that's something he'd pull in
15 upstream. I suppose we could have a local gentoo patch.
16
17 I guess I'll just let this simmer for now and see how things develop. My
18 preference (I think, at least at the moment) would be for both
19 implementations to be able to coexist, like openssl and gnutls. It looks
20 like that's the way it's heading in pkgsrc (the other place I'm
21 maintaining openntpd), which should make things relatively simple there.
22 If that's not going to be an option with Gentoo hopefully the best
23 alternative will become clearer at some point ;).
24
25 Thanks...